Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Lager-loving punk who dresses as a dominatrix is appointed village curate"

No, this isn't from LarkNews.com or The Wittenburg Door (satirical sites). I suppose that this is part of the Anglican Church's effort to become more "in touch" with younger Brits... Adrian Plass would be proud (I think).


Some days she strides up to church wearing hot pants and biker boots. Or she might opt for dominatrix-style red leather high heels to go with her six piercings including a nose stud.

Not the apparel you would normally expect from a Church of England curate.

But punk rocker Skye Denno insists it is her way of serving God.

.....

'The Church can be quite cliquey and it's important for me to keep it real and not be another stuffy, middle-class vicar.'

Miss Denno moved to the town with her partner Joel and their two young children last month to take up her new role.

She had previously wanted to be a missionary and went to the Redcliffe Christian College for Bible and Mission Training in Gloucester.

But she realised her natural calling was to become a vicar.

.....

When not helping out at the small church, she prefers to spend her time in the pub or watching bands.

She added: 'I like a good gig and I love dancing. I like The Cure, Sex Pistols, Clash, Sisters of Mercy and Last Dance. Luckily I have never been into drugs.

'I would sometimes end up praying in a club. People would hear I was a Christian and come and talk to me and I would say a prayer for them if they wanted me to.'

4 comments:

philpartin said...

I like Lager and I have no problem with a punk lover who goes to meet the no yet believing at pubs. What concerns me is Miss. The problem is partner rather than husband. How can she be "legit" and violate the scripture on this subject? Get married, girl, and do your ministry!

philpartin said...

I like Lager and I have no problem with a punk lover who goes to meet the no yet believing at pubs. What concerns me is Miss. The problem is partner rather than husband. How can she be "legit" and violate the scripture on this subject? Get married, girl, and do your ministry!

Dr. Bill said...

Yep, I left that part in there on purpose... Granted that attitudes on this matter are different in Europe, still it begs the question of what *other* differences there may be.

Liz Shively said...

It's possible that this vicar is, indeed, married. I've heard people refer to their spouses as their partners. I don't think we have enough information to go on here.